Women as Agents of Change in the Global Refugee System
Organized by the Germany's Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, in cooperation with the World Refugee Council, CARE Germany and Hawar.help, this panel discussion and reception marks the official German launch of the World Refugee Council report, A Call to Action: Transforming the Global Refugee System.
The panel discussion will focus on the unique challenges faced by women refugees and internally displaced persons — and their tremendous potential to be agents of change in the global refugee system. There will also be a preview of the film, Jihan: Cry for Life, by journalist Düzen Tekkal, which gives a voice to the Yazidi who have survived ISIS captivity in Iraq.
- Dr. Rita Süssmuth, President of the Bundestag a.D. and Co-chair of the World Refugee Council
- Lloyd Axworthy, Chair of the World Refugee Council and former Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister
- Ratna Omidvar, Canadian Senator and Member of the World Refugee Council
- r. Elke Löbel, Commissioner for Refugee Policy and Head of the Flight and Migration, Crisis Prevention and Management Division of BMZ
- Salam Kanaan, Director, CARE for Palestinian Territories
- Düzen Tekkal, Journalist and Founder of Hawar.help e.V.
- Martha Gutierrez, Head of Crisis and Conflict Management, Migration and Construction, GIZ
- Dr. Bärbel Kofler, Federal Government Commissioner for Human Rights Policy and Humanitarian Aid
- Christian Schneider, Managing Director of UNICEF Germany
- Dr. Demetrios G. Papademetriou, Founder of the Migration Policy Institute and Initiator of the Transatlantic Council on Migration